Found out something today that you may or may not find interesting...
I was cutting a set of wooden gears out of baltic birch this afternoon, mostly for fun and practice. I have a pocket operation on them, to make the spokes prettier. This is all generated in Fusion 360. I couldn't figure out why the pockets were not completely clearing. It would always leave a bit of extra material, for example a triangular shape at each point of entry. Also, some of the finishing passes would leave ridges, even though they were millimeters from each other (and my router was trammed precisely using a 1 inch bit, so there should be no measurable error with a 1/4 endmill).
Went over all the toolpaths in Fusion, thinking I was doing something wrong, changed the overlaps and a bunch of things, but still the same. I tried to redo the pockets with a full cut at the same depth, then a slightly deeper cut at 0.2mm lower, same result.
Then on a hunch, I tried pushing up on the bristles of my dust boot, and lo and behold, that is enough to create enough deflection to throw off the pocket cut by a very slight amount, but enough for it to not be flat and clean. At the points of entry, during plunge, is where that pressure is greater and where it leaves the most extra material, and then I guess it depends on the direction of movement.
So I removed the dust boot, re-zeroed the Z axis 0.1mm lower, and ran the pocket operation again with no other changes, and this time the pocket is clean. I thought maybe the tool path wasn't going over all the areas the same way, but it did, it's just the dust boot that was pushing it up.
If I push up by hand, you really cannot *feel* any movement. The V wheels are tight, maybe even too tight (some of them are shedding a fine black dust). But you can *see* a bit of deflection of the whole assembly. I guess it's probably inherent to the frame.
The last pocket wasn't absolutely perfect, perhaps due to a tiny bit of deflection remaining but it was very close. Maybe at 0.2mm it would have been a bit more visible than at 0.1, but I only want to take off a bit at a time (for looks).
One more reason to avoid router mounted dust boots. (my Suckit has been on order for a couple weeks, I'm the fabricator type but I have no time to make one of those).